I Want to Save a Child's Sight!

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

What You Are, What I Am

You know what...I don't care. I don't care what you look like. I don't care what color your skin is, or your hair, or your eyes. I don't care what God you worship. I don't care if you are gay or straight.
These statements make a lot of people angry. But really, what does it matter? Try tolerance as a moral value.

A lot of publicity has been given recently (to those paying attention to politics) to Maya Keyes, the daughter of Republican journeyman, Alan Keyes. She "came out" as a lesbian during her father's campaign for the US Senate out of Illinois. What makes this so controversial is the fact that the elder Keyes came out numerous times in speeches and appearances railing against gays and gay rights.
"Keyes’ strong objection to gay rights had become a major issue in the campaign after he’d been lured, in a radio interview, into agreeing that vice-president Dick Cheney’s gay daughter was a “selfish hedonist.” When these remarks turned into a national kerfuffle, Keyes misled the public when he discussed how he would respond “if” he had a gay daughter."

The Keyes family, according to a Washingon Post article, have thrown Maya out of the house for being "a liberal queer." They told her that her sexuality is "wrong and sinful." Wow, wrong and sinful?
What could possibly be wrong about finding happiness and love in this world? I don't care how you get down, live your life. If God loves everyone, then he loves you too. These conservatives just drive me insane. Their "morals" are so backwards. Try tolerance as a moral value. [Tribune] [Zorn] [ChiReader] [WP]

No comments: